The project viewing tower at Castle Drogo
See Castle Drogo as never before with a trip up the viewing tower. This is an exhilarating opportunity to climb 58 steps and look down onto the building work taking place on the roof of the castle (restrictions apply).
Join our expert tour guides who will explain how the building is being restored and what materials we are using. The tour will take around 20 minutes and involves being given a hard hat and high Vis jacket, climbing up the 58 steps and the looking down onto the north section of the roof and onto the kitchen scullery. The guide will show you samples of the building materials we are using and there is the opportunity to ask technical questions about what we are doing.
" Visit was really good. Seeing roof was amazing, the two tour guides were very good. "
We aim to open the project viewing tower every day, 11am-4.30pm but access to the tower is subject to weather and volunteer staffing. On busy days there may be a long queue. There are restrictions including;
• Visitors must wear sturdy, secure shoes, no ballet pumps, heels or flip flops. Stout walking sandals are allowed but these must be secured onto your feet over the heel and foot.
• You must be over 1.5m (4ft 11in) tall.
• No baby carriers are allowed.
• Every visitor under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a participating adult (on a 1:1 ratio).
• Rucksacks and larger bags must be left at the base of the tower.
• You need a head for heights and to be physically fit as the tower is 15 metres high.