Carpentry at Coughton
The Mason family were tenants of the Throckmortons and also worked on the Coughton estate.
The Mason family were tenants of the Throckmortons and also worked on the Coughton estate. Kate and Richard Mason had eight children, one of whom, Mabel, died in infancy. Richard owned and ran the Coughton Coach Works, employing four of his sons. They lived at 3 High Street and had premises on what is now Sambourne Lane, just over the road from Coughton Court. The Masons worked on the house and estate for 64 years.
Richard Mason Snr was a wheelwright, working on coaches and carriages. His skill meant that he was also contracted to fit the staircase in the Saloon when it was moved there from Harvington Hall in 1910.
Richard Mason Jnr was the village blacksmith, and William Mason was a wheelwright like his father.
Fred Mason was a coach painter. He and his brother Harry played in the Coughton cricket team for many years. Fred served on the Western Front during WW1 and was awarded the Military Medal for digging out his fellow soldiers after they were buried by a shell explosion. He was told that he was to receive the medal on his 21st birthday. He died of gas poisoning in 1917, aged twenty.
Harry Mason joined the Royal Marines in 1914, although he was underage. He was demobbed in 1920 and began working for his father as a wheelwright, painter and sign writer. After his father and brothers died, the family firm closed in 1929 and Harry continued working on the Coughton estate, signwriting and carrying out general maintenance.