Timeline

1885

The tunnel is dug beneath the parade ground

Located beneath the parade ground, the tunnel is dug through the solid chalk of the cliffs. In 1898-99 an armoured searchlight position is added at the end of the tunnel.

1887

Lift shaft sunk in the ditch

The lift shaft was designed to give access to five sea-level emplacements and small calibre guns. Searchlights are also installed. Between 1889 and 1892 trials of the searchlights and quick-fire guns take place.

1893

Work commences on the New Battery

Due to rapid erosion of the chalk cliffs and the site being too small to accommodate newer, larger guns, it is decided the Old Battery should become a lookout and a more modern Battery is commissioned further up High Down.