Timeline

1880

Anti-submarine and anti-torpedo experiments

Between 1880 and 1900 two cables run from the fort out to sea. Any disturbance to the magnetic field between them is used to detect passing metallic objects.

1914

Use during the First World War

At the beginning of the war a cavalry unit occupies the fort and later a heavy artillery unit moves in. They remain here until 1920.

1920

Interwar use and abandonment

Between 1920 and 1930, the fort is used as an observation post for the local battery and as a summer camp for visiting army units. In 1930 the fort is left empty until the start of the Second World War.