50 things to do before you're 11¾ at Devil's Dyke
We have such a selection of fun for you here at Devil's Dyke. We reckon you can tick off 28 things from our 50 things to do before you're 11¾ list but maybe you can tick off more?
See what you can tick off your list of 50 things to do before you're 11¾? There's something you can do with your family, come rain or shine, summer or winter.
Get out and about
- Climb a tree - with adult supervision we've lots of gnarly old oaks that are great to climb
- Roll down a really big hill - we've possibly got the best hill on the South Downs to do this
- Build a den - we've plenty of woodlands to explore with the materials you need
- Make a daisy chain
- Eat an apple straight from a tree - there are some wild apple trees hidden around the Dyke
- Play conkers - bring your own or try to find the one and only conker tree on the hill
- Run around in the rain
- Play in the snow - being high up means we get a lot more snow than down in the local towns (but you hopefully won't be able to do this in the summer!)
- Fly a kite - up near the car park is best
And there's more....
- Make a mud pie
- Set up a snail race - forget about boring old garden snails, there are hundreds of different varieties to choose from here
- Pick blackberries growing in the wild - there are bushes all over Devil's Dyke
- Explore inside a tree - hunt down some ancient ash trees near Saddlescombe
- Make a grass trumpet
- Hunt for fossils and bones - sometimes you can find sea sponge fossils on the ground
- Go on a nature walk at night
- Climb a huge hill - we've one of the biggest in Sussex
Take a look
- Hunt for bugs - join us on a bug hunt in the summer or get on your hands and knees with your family
- Track wild animals - take a walk in the woods after it has rained to find animal tracks
Find your way back
- Find your way with a map and compass (bring your own)
- Find a geocache – there are quite a few round here, look on the Brighton geocache website (bring your own device)
Come and see our Membership & Information Officers to pick up you '50 things' wild adventure scrapbook and collect your stickers - look out for us on the downs in the big white van.