A brief history of Dunham Massey

A house filled with treasures, an ancient deer park and a renowned family garden- 300 years of history have unfolded at Dunham Massey. Home to two great families, the Booths and the Greys; their stories of fortune, scandal and duty can still be felt across the estate today.

Timeline

1362

First record of the park

The park at Dunham Massey was first mentioned in 1362, but wild deer and boar are recorded to have been hunted among the trees for many years before this.

A fallow deer grazes in the Park at Dunham Massey

1694

2nd Earl of Warrington inherits Dunham estate

George Booth, 2nd Earl of Warrington, inherits the Dunham estate with debts of £50,000. To turn the estate's fortunes around, George begins to plant hundreds of trees throughout the park providing a profitable timber resource for the future.

George Booth, 2nd Earl of Warrington and his daughter Lady Mary Booth

1736

The Stamford title comes to Dunham

Mary Booth, the daughter of the 2nd Earl and his wife, marries Harry Grey bringing the Stamford title to Dunham.

Portrait of Harry Grey