The College Series - Women of the Shropshire Adult Education College (1948-1976)
Follow in the footsteps of past Shropshire Adult Education College students as you enjoy a glass of white wine before heading up to the former College lecture theatre where one of our specialists brings to life their passion for their subject.
- Booking essential
What roles and opportunities were open to women who attended the Shropshire Adult Education College at Attingham Hall? What was life like for the women who lived on site, and what legacy did it have on their lives?
Dr Sharon Clancy spent three years researching and writing about the Shropshire Adult Education College for her doctoral thesis at the University of Nottingham. Sharon will explore the impact of this life-changing College and its key place in Attingham's history.
Event ticket prices
All £8.00Includes a glass of white wine.
- Booking details
- Call 03442 491895
- Unfortunately dogs are not welcome at this event.
- Meeting point
- Meet on the front steps of the Mansion which is a 5 - 10 minute walk from the car park.
- What to bring and wear
- The mansion has 'conservation heating ' which keeps a consistent temperature for the historic collection and interior. People may find it cool, please dress appropriately for the outside temperature.
- The main route into the house includes stairs, please contact us to discuss any access requirements.
- This year, in the Mansion, we're exploring the stories of the role and opportunities the Shropshire Adult Education College provided for women from 1948-1976. The College used the Dining Room as a lecture and event space during their time, and this year we'll be holding a series of evening talks every third Thursday of the month inspired by Attingham past and present in this atmospheric room. Talks include; 19th July - Anglo-Saxon Discoveries at Attingham - Janine Young and Dr Roger White. 16th August - Life below stairs at Attingham - Caroline Pugh. 20th September - Park life: The Attingham deer - Colin Morris. 18th October - Restoring the lost Pleasure Grounds - Pam Smith. 15th November - Introduction to stargazing - Shropshire Astronomical Society.
|21 June 2018||18:30 - 20:30||Available|