Leaving a gift FAQs

Rockpooling on the rugged Northumberland coast

Here are the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about leaving a gift in a will. However, if there’s anything else you’d like to know, please don’t hesitate to contact the Gifts in Wills team on 01793 817699. We’d be happy to help.

Can I talk to someone about making a will and leaving a gift to the National Trust?

Of course. We are always happy to help you with any queries you may have. If you would like to speak to someone, you can call us on 01793 817699 during office hours or send your enquiry to us online.

Enquire online >

Email the Gifts in Wills team > 

Alternatively, write to: Gifts in Wills team, National Trust, Heelis, Kemble Drive, Swindon, SN2 2NA. If you’d like us to reply by telephone, please include a daytime number where we can contact you.

How do I make a will?

We recommend using a qualified solicitor to make a new will or to amend an existing will. You can find a solicitor in your local area using the Law Society’s website. You may also find our Gift in Wills Guide useful. It includes further options and step-by-step advice with some basic information about will making.

Download our 2019 Gift in Wills Guide (PDF / 0.4MB) download

What is the registered charity number and details to be included in a will?

Our registered charity number is 205846 and our address is: National Trust, Heelis, Kemble Drive, Swindon, SN2 2NA.

Can I choose what the gift in my will is spent on?

While we welcome legacies that can be used for general purposes so we can meet our most urgent needs, we're also very happy to accept gifts for a particular use. That means you can choose where and what your money is spent on; a favourite property perhaps, or an area of special significance to you such as the coastline, countryside or gardens.

You can find some suggested wording in our Gifts in Wills guide which you may like to share with your solicitor. We do recommend you use a qualified solicitor to amend or write your will.

Download our 2019 Gift in Wills Guide (PDF / 0.4MB) download

Can I find out what the National Trust spends gifts in wills income on?

Yes, 100% of legacies are spent where you intend. You can read about how gifts in wills have helped us in our annual donor newsletter. You can also read our Annual Report and statement of accounts.

Download 2018 annual donor newsletter PDF >

Read the 2017/18 Annual Report & statement of accounts >

Can I make the National Trust one of my executors?

Yes you can, but only in certain circumstances. If you would like the National Trust to be an executor for your will please get in touch with us so that we can provide further information.

I am an executor, where do I send the legacy payment?

All correspondence should be sent to: Legacy Administration team, National Trust, Heelis, Kemble Drive, Swindon, SN2 2NA who will reply to the correspondence and sort out allocation of funds. Cheques should be made payable to the National Trust.

Visitors enjoying the sunshine in the garden at Rufford Old Hall, Lancashire

Leaving a gift in your will 

By leaving a gift in your will to the National Trust you’re helping to look after irreplaceable landscapes and places for future generations to enjoy.