What's happening in South West gardens this spring?
The results of our 2016 Valentine's Day flower count are in and there's a 63 per cent increase in plants blooming this year.
" Spring is my favourite time of year and after a long wet winter, I think it’s just about here albeit in a slightly confused way."
- In 2016 1,983 plants were recorded in 18 gardens in Devon and Cornwall compared to 1,345 in 2015 and 1,205 in 18 gardens in 2014
- In 2008 3,335 plants in bloom were recorded, marking the earliest spring so far recorded
- 2,644 plants were recorded in gardens across the whole of the South West this year compared 1,622 in 2015
- In Cornwall 897 blooms were counted compared to 545 in 2015
- In Devon there were 1041 blooms this year compared to 800 in 2015
- The highest numbers of flowers recorded in the South West were recorded at Saltram with 193 blooms
- All gardens apart from one have seen an increase in the amount of plants in bloom
A mild, wet winter
A growing challenge
Help us build a picture of which flowers are blooming in the South West by posting a photo of your garden in bloom.
Which flowers are blooming in your garden? Add your photos to the hashtag.
Add your pics to the Instagram hashtag #flowercount.