These cookies are easy to make and store well in an air tight container. You can also freeze some of the cookie dough, cut to size, ready to bake for another day. You can add in other ingredients such as chocolate chips, dried fruits and spices like ginger. One of our favourite flavour combinations is fresh orange zest with chocolate chips.
- 750g/ 1lb 10oz self raising flour
- 500g/ 1lb 2oz margarine or butter
- 120g/ 4oz golden syrup
- 50g/ 2oz caster sugar
- 250g/ 9oz light brown sugar
- 30ml/ 1 fl oz vanilla essence
- up to 200g/ 8oz of additional ingredients (eg chocolate chips, dried fruit, peanut butter)
- Line 3 baking sheets with greaseproof paper and preheat the oven to 160 c.
- Get a large bowl and place the margarine and the sugars into it. Beat the ingredients together with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy.
- Add in the golden syrup and mix again until combined.
- Next, add in all of the other ingredients, including any additional ingredients you have chosen, and stir until combined.
- Using two dessert spoons, separate the mixture into 24 balls onto the baking sheets, placing them well apart as they will spread a little whilst baking.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes until golden and crisp at the edges.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the cookies onto cooling racks.