Special rhubarb crumble
Best served warm with custard
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 75g margarine
- 75g Demerara sugar (for the topping)
- 2 handfuls of porridge oats
- 1 handful chopped roasted hazelnuts
- 4-5 sticks of rhubarb, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 preserved ginger in syrup
- 75g Demerara sugar (for the fruit)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 5.
- Mix together the margarine and the topping ingredients with a fork.
- The mixture will form small lumps rather than breadcrumbs because of the oats, but this is OK.
- Place the rhubarb in a deep ovenproof dish and mix in sugar.
- Chop ginger into small pieces and mix with fruit, adding a little of the syrup if you wish.
- Cover evenly with topping mixture and bake for 40–45 minutes until crunchy.