Tick off some the 50 Things list today
There are endless things to see and do in the Peak District, whatever the weather or season. Why not pick up a free 50 Things Scrapbook and get the children to tick off some of the things in the Peak District?
Once you have your free scrapbook, you can do some of the 50 Things list in your garden, at the park, on holiday and at any National Trust place you visit.
There are some things that can only be done at certain times of the year, when you need snow, daisies or falling leaves. But there are some things that can be done pretty much anytime and anywhere!
Here are some of our favourite things off the list that you can do at Ilam Park and Dovedale:
- Go birdwatching - you may spot ducks, moorhen, heron, dipper, coot, buzzards and pheasant!
- Play pooh sticks - the most popular bridge for this is St. Bertram's Bridge in Ilam Park, but there are several bridges in Dovedale too.
- Explore a cave - as you walk in Dovedale valley you'll see caves near the footpath that you can peek inside.
- Climb a huge hill - there are lots of hills to choose from in the area, but the most popular for young explorers are Thorpe Cloud and Bunster Hill.
- Find your way with a map and compass - a great skill to learn to keep you safe on your outdoor adventures!
- Go stargazing - just need to wait until it is dark and if the sky is clear you are in for a treat!
- Track wild animals - lots of wildlife lives in Ilam Park and Dovedale, you may spot their tracks, poo or see or hear them. Some of our residents are nocturnal so they are harder to spot!
- Fly a kite - bring your kite and find a big open space, then let the wind do the rest!
Remember, these things are not just for the children, adults can join in too!