Taking care of the bear hut
This year will bring complete conservation of the Bear's hut. Follow our progress to see the work being done.
The bear hut in the garden at Killerton was built in 1808 by John Veitch on behalf of Sir Thomas Dyke Acland. It was originally built as a summerhouse for Lady Lydia and was later renamed the 'Bear Hut' after it housed the family pet.
This delightful structure has stood the test of time and was rethatched in early January 2019, but now needs a little more conservation work.
Basket weave seat
February has been a busy month for our conservation work on the hut. The highbacked seat inside has been repaired by a specalist weaver using willow. Any parts of the weave that were damaged have now been replaced and it it's a comfy seat once again.
Three pane window
The three pane, clear glass window to the left of the hut has been repaired and replaced. The craftsmanship is second to none and the window looks as good as new. The glass is beautiful and refelects like a mirror.
The stained glass window
The stained glass window has been removed and temporarily replaced with clear glass. The window is being worked on by a company who specialise in the conservation and renovation of stained glass. They will be returning soon to test fit the stained glass window so we will share the photographs once it's replaced.
Here is how the stained glass window looked before it was removed for conservation work.