Lanhydrock Formal Garden
Between the 29 clipped Irish yews , Taxus baccata 'Fastigiata', are beds planted with roses 'Fascination', 'Bright Smiles', 'Songs of Praise', 'Margaret Merril' and 'Escapade'.
The house fire in 1881 resulted in the loss of much of the historical record of the gardens of Lanhydrock and our knowledge remains patchy. We know that in the mid 17th century the house was completed as a quadrangle with an enclosed courtyard. A wall between 8 to 10 feet tall extended from either side of the house to meet with walls from the gatehouse enclosing a drive and a formal Italianate garden.
In 1858 the formal garden was redesigned by London architect George Truefitt with battlement walls and obelisks surrounding this area and the Parterre. 23 yews were planted to the front of the house and 6 on the north side guarding the Parterre. Local architect Richard Coad carried through the design although Juliana Agar-Robartes and her head gardener Joseph Bray probably supervised the planting. The rose beds with the box hedging were added in the 1930s.