The Lanhydrock Atlas of 1694 shows this area was a kitchen garden but by the 1840s it had become an ornamental flower garden. A plan of the gardens made in 1881 by T H Andrew shows the thatched cottage and well to the lower left with steps to the broad path which runs at an angle to the lower middle (see third image). The church is bottom right of the picture and the network of paths shown still survives.
In 1840 William Booth, Head Gardener to Sir Charles Lemon at Carclew in Cornwall, designed the new kitchen garden for Thomas Agar-Robartes. Although no documentary evidence survives it is thought that William Booth may also have re-designed the higher garden between the thatched cottage and the farmyard to the north (now the gardener’s yard) and developed terracing to the south starting with the broad path.