Strawberry and Rhubarb Crisp Bars
This tasty treat takes inspiration from Tresham’s 'warden quincunx hills', an area north of the parterre. Tresham intended for warden pear trees to be planted in an elaborate quincunx with walnuts, roses and strawberries. We’ve paired strawberries with rhubarb for the perfect teatime treat.
- 320g Rolled oats
- 380g Plain flour
- 380g Light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 340g Butter (melted)
- 4 tbsp Cornflour
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- 60g Caster sugar
- 500g diced rhubarb
- 620g diced strawberries
- Line and grease a small tray bake tin.
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Mix the oats, flour, brown sugar and salt with the melted butter. Reserve 1 cup of this mixture.
- Place the rest of the mixture into the tin and press evenly.
- Dice the fruit and mix with the lemon juice, caster sugar and cornflour, tossing everything gently together in a bowl.
- Scatter the fruit over the base and then add the reserved crumbs over the top.
- Bake for 30 - 40 mins or until the fruit in bubbling and the crisp is golden.
- Leave to fully cool before slicing.
This bake freezes well.