Visiting Montacute House with your dog
You are welcome to enjoy the garden and parkland with your dogs at Montacute House throughout the season. Here are some useful things to know when bringing your dog to Montacute, and our favourite walking routes.
Where can my dog go?
Dogs are welcome in the garden, parkland and the courtyard outside the café.
If you're exploring the parkland, Ladies' Walk or St Michael's Hill, dogs need to be kept on a lead when sheep are about, so that they don’t chase or worry the woolly friends who live there. If cattle are about, dogs should be kept under close control or on a lead.
Our definition of close control is:
- Being able to recall your dogs in any situation at the first call.
- Being able to clearly see your dog at all times (not just knowing they have gone into the undergrowth or over the crest of the hill). In practice this means keeping them on a footpath if the surrounding vegetation is too dense for your dog to be visible.
- Not allowing them to approach other visitors without their consent.
- Having a lead with you to use if you encounter livestock, wildlife or you are asked to use one.
When walking around the garden, dogs should be kept on short leads and please stick to the pathways.
In the courtyard outside the café, dogs on leads are welcome.
Where can't my dog go?
Assistance dogs only are allowed inside the house, café and shop. If you are unsure about where you can go with your pooch, please ask on arrival.
What do I need to be aware of at Montacute House?
To make sure everyone has an enjoyable day please follow our Canine Code:
- Take the lead: help reduce the chance of your pup disturbing wildlife by keeping them on a lead.
- Scoop that poop: bag it and bin it to keep your favourite places beautiful.
- Paws for thought: look out for information signs and take extra care around livestock.
- Be on the ball: not everyone loves dogs, so keep them close by.
Facilities available for my dog
You'll find water bowls outside the shop and in the café courtyard. There is a dog bin at the end of west drive, one at the entrance to the parkland from Back Lane and another just inside the gate at Odcombe Lodge.
Below are some walking routes from Montacute House that we've heard doggies love.