- Protecting tender plants in the terrace and Mediterranean beds
- Mulching the bare soil in places like the rock garden and the summer borders.
- Tidying up the arboretum and the wild garden.
- Collecting pea stick supports from the woods.
- Re-laying some of our garden paths.
Our nursery is an essential hub for growing and storing plants. Our tropical specimens often need somewhere warm to shelter in winter and our summer-border plants grow from seeds and are taught drought tolerance here. This is also where we propagate our Nymans Collection to sell in the plant centre.
We love to compost
Everything out of the garden ends up in our huge compost heaps. The only things we don't compost are pernicious weeds like bindweed, couch grass and oxalis. Our hot heaps reach 70C, reliably killing most pests and diseases.
Let it rain
All the rain water that runs off the glasshouse roof is collected and stored in one of three massive water tanks. In total we can store 150,000 litres, which is connected to the garden irrigation system and used to water the nursery.
Organic rose treatments
Our rose garden is completely organic and we carry out a four-week spraying rota to treat the roses for mildew, blackspot and rust whilst also acting as a foliar feed. Ask the garden team for more information.