Petworth onion soup
Complete your experience by recreating this thick, hearty onion soup once cooked at Petworth House. It is an easy to make, comforting meal on a cold autumn day, made extra special by the addition of cheese!
Soups and starters
- 5 medium onions
- 50g/2oz butter or virgin olive oil
- 900ml/1.5pt clear brown stock
- croutons of toasted bread
- 3-4 tbs grated Parmesan or Gruyère cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Finely slice the onions and cook slowly in the butter until a pale gold, not a brown colour.
- Add the stock, cover and simmer for one hour.
- Five minutes before serving, season the soup to taste and add the croutons.
- Boil for three minutes, pour into a tureen and finally sprinkle on the cheese just before serving.