Petworth onion soup
Complete your experience by recreating this thick, hearty onion soup once cooked at Petworth House. It is an easy to make comforting meal, made extra special by the addition of cheese!
Soups and starters
- 5 medium onions
- 50g/2oz butter or virgin olive oil
- 900ml/1.5pt clear brown stock
- croutons of toasted bread
- 3-4 tbs grated Parmesan or Gruyère cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Finely slice the onions and cook slowly in the butter until a pale gold, not a brown colour.
- Add the stock, cover and simmer for one hour.
- Five minutes before serving, season the soup to taste and add the croutons.
- Boil for three minutes, pour into a tureen and finally sprinkle on the cheese just before serving.