Belly pork, caramelised apple wedges and boulangere potatoes
This dish is a real crowd pleaser for a lazy day. You can’t go wrong with tender pork and potatoes with a twist.
- 30ml/1 fl oz Vegetable oil
- 1.5kg/3lb 6oz Belly pork
- 145g/5oz Onion, roughly chopped
- 145g/5oz Carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 Garlic bulb, crushed
- 85ml/3fl oz White wine
- 30g/1oz Cornflour
- 1kg/2lb 4oz Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 235g/10oz Onions, thinly sliced
- 15g/.5oz Vegetable bouillon
- 115ml/4fl oz Water
- 15g/.5oz Rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- 30g/1oz Butter, melted
- 2 Apples
- 30g/1oz Butter
- 15g/.5oz Caster sugar
- Gently heat the oil in a deep roasting tray on the hob then add the chopped onion, carrots and garlic and sauté for five minutes.
- Place the pork on top of the vegetables, skin side up, and pour in the white wine.
- Add the stock cube dissolved in 100ml / 4floz boiling water and bring to the boil. Cover with foil and roast at 160°C for 2–3 hours.
- Take out the oven and leave for five minutes. Place the pork in a new tray, cover with cling film then place a tray on the top and put some weights on the top to compress the pork – you could use a few tins. Chill for at least 6 hours.
- Tip the remaining contents of the roasting tray into a pan, add a little water and bring to the boil. Strain through a sieve, pushing through as much as you can with a ladle or spoon, dissolve the cornflour in a couple of spoons of water, pour into the sauce and stir to thicken.
- For the potatoes: melt half the butter and use a little to brush the deep tray. Layer in the potatoes, sliced onions and rosemary; pour over the bouillon, then the rest of the melted butter and season. Cover with foil and bake at 170°C (gas mark 4) for an hour until the potatoes are soft, remove the foil place back in the oven for a further 10 – 15 minutes or until the top is golden.
- For the apples: melt the butter in a frying pan and sprinkle in the sugar, place the apples cut side down in the butter mix and sauté gently until soft and caramelised.
- To serve, slice the pork belly then bake on a lined tray at 180°C for 10–15 mins until the skin is crisp. Serve with the boulangere potatoes, drizzle over some of the sauce and add a wedge of caramalised apple.
All ovens vary so please use times and temperatures as guides. This recipe does not use gluten-containing ingredients but please check food packaging for allergens.