Cinnamon lemon bun
A new favourite with an extra twist, light dough whirls encasing a sweet cinnamon filling topped with a lemon curd drizzle make this a perfect afternoon treat whatever the occasion.
- 250g (9oz) strong plain flour
- 125g (4.5oz) plain flour
- 25g (0.8oz) caster sugar
- 7g (1 sachet) fast acting dried yeast
- 125ml (4fl oz) milk
- 100ml (3.5fl oz) warm water
- 1 egg
- 25g (0.8oz) butter, cubed
- 75g (3oz) butter, melted
- 15g (1oz) ground cinnamon
- 100g (3.5oz) soft brown sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 100g (3.5oz) icing sugar
- 50g (2oz) lemon curd
- Place the flours, yeast and caster sugar in a large bowl mix well with your hands and make a well in the middle, pour in the milk and half the water. Use your fingers to work the flour into the liquid.
- Once the dough starts to come together add the egg and start to work the dough with both hands, if it feels to dry add extra water as needed. Turn onto a floured surface and start to knead gently by stretching and folding the dough.
- Once the dough has formed add the butter and continue to knead until it’s incorporated into the dough and you have a smooth elastic dough, this should take around 5 minutes.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover with cling film and leave somewhere warm until doubled in size.
- Remove from the bowl and place on a floured side, give the dough a couple of kneads to bring it together and knock the air out of it then shape into a rough rectangle.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough to a rectangle approximately 45cm x 20cm, spread the melted butter over the entire surface and the sprinkle over the sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll from the long edge like a swiss roll, making sure you get it as tight as possible, cut using a sharp knife into 12 even-sized pieces and place cut side up on a lined baking tray, cover with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place until doubled in size and the buns are all touching each other.
- Once the rolls have risen, place in the oven and cook for around 15 minutes at 180C until further risen and golden.
- Place the lemon juice and zest in a bowl with the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Remove the rolls from the oven and immediately spoon the lemon mix over each one followed by the curd, leave to cool and then serve.