Goat's cheese and beetroot salad
A light, refreshing salad that is perfect for al fresco dining.
- 200g/8oz courgettes, peeled and quartered
- 250g/10oz mangetout
- 400g/16oz heritage beetroot
- 1 orange
- 120g/4oz carrot, peeled
- 2 bunches spring onions, thinly sliced
- 150g/5oz rocket
- 200g/8oz goat's cheese, crumbled
- 200ml/7fl.oz extra virgin rapeseed oil
- 60ml/2fl.oz white wine vinegar
- 40g/2oz pumpkin seeds
- 40g/2oz sunflower seeds
- 40g/2oz walnuts
- 5g/oz caraway seeds
- Good pinch of salt and pepper
- Place a pan of water on the hob and bring to a rolling boil. Add the courgette and mangetout and cook for around 3 minutes or until slightly softened. Remove and rinse in cold water, drain and put to one side.
- Place the beetroot in the same pan, using the same boiling water and cook for around an hour until soft. Peel the beetroot, remove the top and bottom and cut into bite-size cubes.
- Peel and segment the orange, cut into chunks and keep the juice for step 9.
- Use a potato peeler to cut the carrot into thin strips.
- Place the beetroot, courgettes, mangetout, carrot, spring onion and orange segments in a bowl and mix well.
- Place a portion of the rocket onto your serving plate; add a portion of the salad mix.
- Sprinkle over the crumbled goat's cheese.
- Place all the nuts and seeds on a baking tray and put into the oven at 160C for around 5 minutes or until lightly coloured. Sprinkle over the top of the salad.
- Put the orange, oil, vinegar and a good pinch of salt and pepper in a jar, place the lid on and shake vigorously until emulsified. Drizzle over the salad as you are about to serve.