This juicy seasonal traybake is the perfect way to use up your freshly-picked gooseberries. From the tartness to the sweetness, this tasty bake will go down a treat at picnics, parties, or as a delicious afternoon snack with your favourite cuppa.
For the base
- 500g self-raising flour
- 500g light brown sugar
- 250g butter
For the topping
- 3 eggs
- 500g sour cream
- 250g fresh gooseberries, roughly chopped
- Preheat your oven to 160°C and line a 30cm by 20cm deep-sided baking tray with parchment paper.
- For the base, mix the flour and sugar, and ‘rub in’ the butter until you have a sandy texture.
- Spread half this mixture in your lined tray and press down gently until you have an even layer.
- For the topping, add the sour cream and eggs to the remaining flour mix and stir until just combined and a only few lumps still remain.
- Pour this mixture over the base in your tin and spread evenly. Top with the chopped gooseberries, gently sprinkling evenly over the surface.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and set.
- Once cooked remove from the oven. Let the traybake cool completely before cutting.