This quick and easy recipe for jam roly-poly is your go-to for a nostalgic, British pudding. Bring back childhood memories with a classic strawberry filling or go for a bit of a twist if you choose a different flavour of jam. Everyone will be reaching for a second helping of this jammy, comforting treat which you can whip up in no time at all.
- 275g self-raising flour
- 150g vegetable suet
- 35g caster sugar
- 175ml water
- 175g jam
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 170°C, and line a 2lb loaf tin with parchment paper to prevent your roly-poly from sticking.
- Place the flour, suet, sugar and salt into a large bowl and add just enough of the water to bring it together into a light elastic dough.
- Continue to knead the dough until it comes clean away from the sides of the bowl and is slightly tacky to the touch.
- Place onto a well-floured worktop and shape into a rectangle.
- Roll out the dough so that it is the same length as your loaf tin, and at least 3 times the width. You want it to be about 5mm thick.
- Spread the dough with jam, leaving a 2cm border at one end.
- Roll the dough tightly and seal carefully with a little water on the 2cm border you left.
- Place into your lined loaf tin, with the seam facing down.
- Cover with some loosely fitting foil and place in the oven for 30-45 minutes, until golden, risen and a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve warm with lashings of custard.