Mushroom and beetroot rolls
These delicious mushroom and beetroot rolls are a simple way to introduce more vegan recipes into your diet. Quick to make and packed with earthy flavours, they're the perfect healthy snack. Despite the flaky puff pastry, there won't be a crumb left behind.
- 150gwhite onion
- 1 clovegarlic
- 1x400g tin chickpeas, drained (keep the water)
- Pinchground black pepper
- 250gfresh beetroot, peeled and grated
- 1 sheetpuff pastry
- For the filling, place the onion and garlic in your food processor and blitz until very finely chopped. Remove and place in a bowl.
- Place your mushrooms in your food processor and blitz until very finely chopped. Remove and place into the bowl along with the onions and garlic.
- Place the drained chickpeas into your food processor and blitz until roughly chopped but some texture remains. Add these to the bowl with the mushrooms, onion and garlic.
- Add the polenta, salt and pepper into the mushroom mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Add in the grated beetroot and combine everything together.
- For the pastry, lay the pastry sheet onto your work bench and cut in half lengthways, creating two rectangular sheets.
- Spoon half of the filling onto one of the pastry sheets, spreading it evenly lengthways.
- Fold one half of the pastry over the filling and wet the edge with a little water.
- Fold over the other half of the pastry and press down to seal, making a long roll shape. Trim half a centimetre off each end of the roll to even up the pastry.
- Cut the long roll into four, place onto your lined tray and score the tops with a knife.
- Repeat with the remaining filling and pastry sheet until you have eight rolls. Brush the tops of all the rolls with the reserved chickpea water.
- Place in an oven at 170°C for 30–35 minutes until golden and risen.