Nadiya’s gingerbread butterfly biscuits
An exclusive gingerbread butterfly biscuit recipe from Nadiya, especially for our cafés, to celebrate the World Book Day weekend.
Cakes and bakes
- 175g/6oz golden caster sugar
- 6tbsp clear, runny honey
- 1tbsp orange juice
- 2tbsp ground ginger
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tbsp ground star anise
- 200g/7oz unsalted butter
- 450g/16oz plain flour, sieved, plus extra for dusting
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼tsp salt
- Writing icing tubes, for decoration
- White chocolate buttons, for decoration
- Add the caster sugar, honey, orange juice, ginger, star anise and vanilla extract to a pan.
- Cook on a medium heat until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Take off the heat and add the butter. Stir until it's melted, set aside and leave to cool completely.
- Once cool, add the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt and bring the dough together.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for at least two hours.
- Line two baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
- Roll out the dough using a butterfly cutter, cut out the shapes. You should be able to get 10 gingerbread butterflies.
- Place the dough on the prepared sheets. Gently prick the biscuits with a fork all over, this will stop them rising too much.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C, 160C fan, gas mark 4.
- Place the trays in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Place the trays in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Decorate however you like, using the icing tubes and white chocolate buttons.