Orange and lemon cake
Tangy sweet orange with zesty and vibrant lemon, what could be a better combination? This orange and lemon cake is light, beautifully flavoured and incredibly moreish – and we know it'll go down a treat at any occasion.
- 250gbaking margarine
- 200gcaster sugar
- 200gground almonds
- Place the whole orange and whole lemon into a saucepan, cover with water and boil for one hour. Top up with water if needed to ensure that they remain covered. Remove from the water and allow to cool completely.
- Pre-heat your oven to 150°C. Grease and line a 23cm cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Cut the cooked fruit open and remove any pips. Place the whole fruit into your food processor and blitz until you have a smooth paste.
- Place the margarine and sugar into your orange and lemon mixture. Beat together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs into your butter, sugar and citrus mixture. Combine together.
- Next, add in the ground almonds and polenta. Combine together thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into your lined cake tin and place in the oven for one hour until the cake has slightly risen and is golden on top and cooked all the way through.
- Warm the marmalade slightly to make it a more spreadable consistency. Coat the top of the cake, whilst it's still warm, with the marmalade.
- Get creative with your toppings – why not make some candied orange and lemon slices to decorate the top?