Pork and turkey pies
These filling festive pies are sure to get you in the Christmas spirit, packed with delicious rich flavours of pork, sage and cranberry.
- 250gdiced pork, finely chopped
- 100g sausage meat
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 125g turkey breast, finely chopped
- 25g dried cranberries
- 25g smoked bacon, finely chopped
- 5g dried sage
For the pastry:
- 125g lard
- 175ml water
- 300g strong white flour
- salt to taste
For the glaze:
- 1 egg, beaten
- For the filling: Place all the filling ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- For the pastry: Place the lard and water into a pan and heat until the lard has melted.
- Tip in the flour and salt and mix until combined and a soft dough has formed.
- Place a ball of pastry, approximately 50g in size, in each hole of your muffin tin.
- Shape each ball into the tin, trying to keep the pastry an even thickness, with a little lip above the top of each hole.
- Pack with filling, pushing down to keep it as compact as possible, and mound the top slightly.
- Take a ball of pastry, approximately 30g in size, flatten into a disk, and place on top of the filling, pressing the edges down on the pastry lip.
- For the glaze: Smooth the edges, make a small hole in the top with a knife, and glaze with the egg wash.
- Place in the oven at 160C for 45-50 minutes, until the pastry is golden and crisp, and the filling is cooked.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from the tin.