Sausage and mash
The quality of the sausage will make or break this recipe. We use sausages made from Freedom Food pork, combined with a rich creamy mash and topped with sweet, caramelised onion gravy.
- 12 good quality Red Tractor pork sausages
- 2tbsp rapeseed oil
- 400g (14oz) red onions, sliced
- 25g (1oz) caster sugar
- 50ml (1.5fl oz) red wine
- 25g (1oz) gravy granules in 500ml (17fl oz) water
- 700g (1lb 8oz) potatoes (King Edward or Maris Piper)
- 1tbsp of butter
- 3tbsp single cream
- A splash of milk
- Salt and pepper
- ½ bunch of spring onions
Cook the sausages in your normal way.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into large pieces (smaller pieces will make a sloppy mash). Cover with water bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until soft.
- Drain the potatoes and use a potato masher to make a fluffy mash.
- Fold through the butter and then mix in the milk, cream and thinly sliced Spring onions. Season well with some salt and black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan with the sliced onions. Leave to sauté gently for a couple of minutes then add the sugar and cook slowly for 20 minutes until caramelised.
- Add the red wine and simmer for 2 minutes. Pour in around 500ml boiling water and stir in the gravy granules. Stir until you have a smooth sauce.
- Place a scoop of the mash on your plate, top with three sausages and then pour over the sauce.