Spinach, bacon and Stilton salad
The saltiness of British farm-assured bacon and Stilton combined with fresh spinach and zesty dressing give this salad an unexpected twist. Finished with Freedom Food eggs and potatoes, this is a substantial salad perfect for colder days.
- 240g (8.5oz) smoky bacon
- 50g (2oz) spinach, roughly torn
- 1/3 radicchio lettuce, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 60g (2oz) Stilton cheese
- 4 eggs, hard boiled, shelled and quartered
- 200g (7oz) new potatoes, cooked and cut into bitesize pieces
- 1 stalk tarragon, leaves stripped and torn
- 40ml (17fl oz) crème fraiche
- 20ml (1tbsp) mayonnaise
- 15ml (1tbsp) white wine vinegar
- 10g (0.5oz) caster sugar
- 20ml (0.5fl oz) milk
- 40g (1.5oz) Stilton cheese
- Place the bacon on a lined baking tray and place in the oven (180C), until well coloured and starting to crisp.
- Remove from the oven and put to one side to cool (the bacon will go crispy once it cools).
- Cut bacon into thin strips.
- Cut out the stalk of the radicchio then chop the leaves finely.
- Place the spinach in a large bowl and add the radicchio, spring onions and red onion, mix well.
- Put all the sauce ingredients in a large bowl and use a blender to combine them into a smooth sauce. Add water to thin the sauce to a pouring consistency if needed.
- Divide the spinach mix between your serving plates, sprinkle over the bacon, quartered potatoes and Stilton. Top with the eggs and drizzle each salad with the blue cheese dressing.
- Scatter the torn tarragon leaves over the top.