Fill your home with the warming scent of gingerbread with this fiery recipe.
- 450g/1lb Wholemeal plain flour
- 20g/1oz Ground ginger
- 10g/2tsp Mixed spice
- 10g/2tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 100g/4oz Soft brown sugar
- 200g/8oz Butter or margarine
- 350g/14oz Black treacle
- 100g/4oz Golden treacle
- 10g/2tsp Caraway seeds
- 300ml/12floz Milk
- 4 Eggs, beaten
- 50g/2oz Root ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Lemon, juice and cut zest into thin strips
- 1 Orange, juice and cut zest into thin stripped
- 100g/4oz Caster sugar
- Place the flour, ginger, spice, bicarbonate of soda and brown sugar in a large bowl and mix well.
- Melt the margarine, treacle and syrup on a low heat, and then add the caraway seeds and gradually beat in the milk. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Pour the liquid mix into the dry mix and use a balloon whisk to beat together.
- Pour the mixture into two 1lb (450g) loaf tins and bake for about 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Place the lemon and orange juice in a pan, add the sugar and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and add the ginger and lemon and orange zest. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and drizzle over the liquid from the pan then scatter over the ginger and peel.