Sweetcorn and ham chowder
Tuck into this hearty chowder that's perfect for a satisfying lunch or a deliciously warming dinner when served with a crusty roll. From soft potato to juicy corn, creamy soup and tasty ham, comfort food doesn't get any easier than this.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 10g butter
- 240g onion, finely diced
- 240g carrot, finely diced
- 240g celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200g potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 500ml water
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh marjoram
- 300ml milk
- 600g sweetcorn
- 150g ham, shredded
- Place a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the oil and butter. Once melted add the onion, garlic and carrot.
- Stir well, and add the diced celery and potato, along with the bay leaves, thyme and marjoram.
- Stir well and sauté for around 5 minutes.
- Add the water. Bring to the boil and then allow to simmer gently until the vegetables are just softened.
- Next, add half the sweetcorn and stir well.
- Remove the bay leaves, thyme and marjoram from the pan. Using a slotted spoon, remove half the vegetables and place to one side.
- Add the milk to the pan and using a stick blender, blend until smooth.
- Return the reserved vegetables to the pan, along with the remaining half of the sweetcorn and the ham.
- Stir well, place back on the heat to bring the temperature back up and serve.