Tandoori chicken, summer slaw and yoghurt dressing
Jam-packed with flavour, this summery recipe is ideal for spicing up family dinners.
- 1 Whole chicken
- 35g/1oz Tikka paste
- 65g/3oz Greek style yoghurt
- 6 Crushed cardamom pods
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 4 Tortilla wraps
For the slaw:
- 135g/5oz Crisp green cabbage
- 135g/5oz Fresh fennel
- 135g/5oz Carrots
- 40g/2oz Salad onions
- 10g/2tsp Fresh parsley
- 1 Lime, juice and zest
- 20ml/1oz Sesame oil
- 120g/5oz Greek style yoghurt
- 10g/2tsp Fresh mint
- Spatchcock the chicken: Place the chicken breast side down on your board and use the scissors to remove the backbone, cutting down each side of the spine, turn the chicken over and score the flesh all over. Open out, remove the wing tips and ankles and then press firmly to flatten. Alternatively you can ask your butcher for a spatchcock chicken.
- Place all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and mix together. Add the chicken and massage the marinade into the meat, cover and leave overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on your baking sheet, put into the oven at 200C for 10 minutes then reduce the heat to 170C, cooking for a further 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once the chicken start to blacken slightly, remove from the oven, check the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a skewer, and then leave to stand for a few minutes.
- Place all the slaw ingredients in a large bowl and mix well, season to taste.
- Place the yoghurt and mint in a bowl and mix to combine, seasoning if needed. Place the wraps in your oven or in a frying pan over a high heat for a few seconds to lightly colour them, remove and cut into quarters.
- To serve: Cut the chicken into quarters and place a portion on the plate, along with four pieces of wrap and a portion of the slaw. Finish with a serving of the yoghurt.