The Christmas turkey
Enjoy a great meal this Christmas with our traditional recipe for turkey and gravy. It'll feed the whole family with some spare.
- Turkey 4-5kg
- Butter 200g
- Streaky bacon 250g
- Pepper and salt
- Sunflower oil 2 tablespoons
- Plain flour 2 tablespoons
- Wine 1 glass
- Remove any giblets and simmer gently in a large pan for the gravy.
- Gently ease the skin away from the flesh of the turkey and tuck butter underneath. Carefully lay the skin back and season.
- Put the oil into a large roasting tin and place turkey on top.
- Cover the bird with a lattice of streaky bacon.
- Make a loose tent of foil to enclose all and put in a preheated oven (200c, gas 6) for 3 hours or until juices run clear.
- Baste every hour.
- Remove foil and leave in oven for 10 mins to brown the meat.
- Place turkey onto a large platter and cover with double foil to keep warm and rest.
- To make the gravy add 2 tablespoons plain flour to a little of the fat in the roasting pan and heat until a roux is formed. Gently add the giblet stock and season. A glass of wine enhances the flavour. Strain and serve in a warm jug.
Any leftover meat should be refrigerated as soon as possible.