Turkey was traditionally gilded to make it look more appetising. Find out how to make the most of your turkey with our easy-to-follow recipe and give your turkey a gilded glow.
- Unsalted butter 25g
- Sugar 25g
- White wine vinegar 2tbs
- Egg yolk 1
- Saffron strands Large pinch
- Gently cook the saffron in the butter, until the butter has turned vibrant yellow. Strain to remove saffron strands.
- Return to the pan and add the sugar and vinegar. Cook until syrupy.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the yolk. Continue cooking gently, without boiling, until thick.
- Ten minutes before the bird is cooked, remove from the oven and paint it with the gilding mixture. Return to the oven and continue cooking.