Vegan snowball cake
With a light and fluffy vegan meringue topping and coconut sprinkle finish, this snowball cake is a guaranteed Christmas table showstopper.
Cakes and bakes
- 375g vegan baking margarine
- 600ml soya milk
- 50ml white wine vinegar
- 600g self-raising flour
- 450g caster sugar
- 2tbsp baking powder
- 1tbsp ground ginger
- 1tbsp mixed spice
- 150g vegan mixed candied spice
- 2 oranges, zest
- For the filling:
- 400ml soya milk
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 orange, juice
- 75g cornflour
- 150g icing sugar
- 60g vegan baking margarine
- For the meringue:
- 100ml aquafaba
- 150g caster sugar
- To finish:
- 150g desiccated coconut
- Pre-heat the oven to 160c fan (180 conv) Gas mark 4 , and grease and line three 9" loose bottom cake tins with parchment paper.
- Melt the vegan margarine in a microwave or in a pan over a low heat, put to one side.
- Pour the soya milk into a bowl, add the vinegar, stir and leave to one side.
- Place the self-raising flour, caster sugar, baking powder, ground ginger, ground mixed spice and the orange zest in a bowl and mix together well.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the melted vegan margarine followed by the curdled soya milk and the vegan candied peel. Stir well until incorporated.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and place in the oven at 160c for around 25 – 35 minutes or until risen and soft. Check by insterting a skewer into the middle to see if it comes out clean. Leave to cool before removing from the tins.
- For the filling, place the soya milk in a pan over a medium heat, bring to the boil then reduce the temperature down to a simmer. Pour the orange juice into a bowl and add the cornflour and caster sugar. Mix to a smooth paste.
- Pour the cornflour mix into the soya mix and beat until thick, creamy and smooth, making sure the mixture gently simmers for a couple of minutes. Leave to cool.
- Place the cooled filling in the bowl of your mixer, add the icing sugar and baking margarine and whisk until light and fluffy. Sandwich the cakes together using the filling mix.
- Place the aquafaba in the bowl of your mixer and start to whisk on full speed until it reaches stiff peaks, which can take 10-15 minutres. While it’s whipping, start to make your sugar solution.
- Place the sugar and 75ml water in a saucepan over a high heat. As soon as it boils reduce the heat slightly, continuing to simmer until it reaches a temperature of 121c. Remove from the heat and pour slowly into the whipped aquafaba with the whisk still going on medium until all added.
- Whisk until cooled and then use to coat the sides and top of the cake.
- Sprinkle the desiccated coconut along the meringue sides and top, ensuring an even coverage.