This should be part of everyone's repertoire, the ultimate 'English' sponge cake. Filled with a sweet fresh raspberry jam and simply dusted with fine caster sugar, this is an all-time classic.
- 350g (12.5oz) baking margarine
- 350g (12.5oz) caster sugar
- 350g (12.5oz) self-raising flour – sifted
- 8 eggs
- 300g (10.5oz) seedless raspberry jam
- 20g (0.5oz) caster sugar for dusting
- Line the base of your sandwich tins with greaseproof and lightly grease the edges.
- Cream the sugar and margarine together using a food mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually beat the eggs into the mixture, beating well between each addition.
- If the mixture begins to curdle, the addition of a little flour will bring it back.
- Place the flour in a sieve and shower over the egg mixture.
- Gently fold the flour into the mixture until there are no lumps remaining.
- Divide equally between the prepared tins, spreading the mixture in the tins and level the surface.