Celebrating 60 years caring for Saltram

A cake that looks identical to Saltram house sat in front of Saltram house against a blue sky

2017 marks the 60th Anniversary of Saltram being in the care of The National Trust. Find out how this amazing place came under the care of the National Trust.

Why did the National Trust acquire Saltram?

The National Trust was offered the House by the Treasury who had accepted it in lieu of death duties through the Land Compensation Fund on the condition it was looked after on behalf of the nation.

How much was the estate bought for?

The estate was not purchased but accepted by the Treasury in lieu of death duties.

Some of the first staff members to work at Saltram after the National Trust took on ownership
A group of people gather round a speaker in the stables courtyard

Did any of the Parker family carry on living in the house after 1957?

Yes, the 5th Earl. After his death Margery (widow of John Holford, Monty’s younger brother) held a lease, followed by her son Robin (Brigadier).

Did the Parkers want to give it to the National Trust?

Monty approached the National Trust in 1953 which suggests it was his wish at that time.

The Orangery at Saltram before its restoration
A picture of the Orangery at Saltram boarded up

Why did the family give all of the contents with the house and not take them?

They didn’t. The family had a number of houses and almost certainly removed some items, possibly those not indigenous. Some paintings that were here in the early 20th century were no longer at Saltram in 1957. The Treasury initially loaned the National Trust 10 key items, considered of national importance that were later transferred to NT ownership. The remainder of what we have today was transferred at a later date, some following Monty’s death in the 1960’s.

Was the estate in a bad way? Was lots of work needed?

The house was reportedly in a bad state, water pipes had been leaking since before WWII.

Have visitors always been able to visit the house, garden and parkland?

The South East Wing of the House was certainly open from 1957 but other rooms were off-limits. Visitors had been able to visit the estate since the 18th century.

Thankyou

Its thanks to all our members and visitors over the past 60 years that we have been able to conserve Saltram and let it be enjoyed by so many.