Exciting archaeological finds
The team from Tiger Geo, who are specialists in geophysical surveys, have unearthed some very exciting data that will help us to form the future plans for our Parkland.
In order to enhance our understanding of our complex historical and archaeological landscape, we have recently completed a large scale geophysical survey covering over 65 hectare of our parkland.
We are keen to see if we could find out some more about what lies buries beneath the ground, to see what stories we could tell in the future and what we could learn about this important piece of Staffordshire’s heritage.
Such a large scale survey is unusual and has generated a wealth of data. The initial results are very exciting because we have picked up features ranging from all different periods of our past. This gives us a great insight into how the landscape has changed throughout time.
Some of the special discoveries:
- We have picked up some clues to the whereabouts of the Medieval village of Shugborough that lay within the heart of the current parkland. This village was slowly moved over time by Thomas Anson in order to make way for his designed parkland that we see today. We can see that the village covered 5 hectares of land.
- The geophysics also seems to have pinpointed the location of several ‘lost’ parkland features that fell victim to the flood of 1795. Structures such as the park seat, the portico and cascade and pagoda were previously only known from watercolours or historic maps and their exact location uncertain until now.
- Jumping forward in time, the landscape of the eastern part of the park was radically altered during the 2nd World War when a military hospital was laid out. An aerial photograph from the time combined with the geophysical survey results gives us an idea of its location covering an area of 520m x450m.