A delicious creamy and light sponge with a hint of coffee and chocolate
- 350g Margarine
- 350gCaster sugar
- 6 eggs
- 10g instant coffee granules
- 350g gluten self-rising flour
- ½ teaspoon xanthum gum
- For the frosting
- 150g baking margarine
- 260g icing sugar
- 6g coffee granules
- 4g cocoa powder
- Place the margarine and the sugar in the bowl and mix until smooth
- Add the eggs to the margarine and beat well until smooth
- Dissolve the coffee granules in 5ml of boiling water to make a liquid then add a further 5ml to cool it down, add to the mix along with the flour and xanthan gum, mix gently until smooth
- Pour into 2 tins and place into the oven at 170 C for around 30 mins or until risen and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool and level the top.
- For the frosting; dissolve the coffee granules in 8ml boiling water with remaining frosting ingredients, beat until smooth, add additional water if needed.
- Spread a portion of the frosting over the base of the cake and place another sponge on top upside down to give you a flat top to the cake. Spread the frosting around the edges of the cake, making sure to cover it well.
- Spread a further layer of the frosting over the top of the cake and use a palette knife to make the top rough and peaky.
- Sprinkle over a little cocoa powder on top.