Summer fun at Tintagel Old Post Office
There is plenty of fun in store at Tintagel Old Post Office this summer. From digging deeper at the Festival of Archaeology Fringe to creating wild art, learning to be a gardener or having a go at traditional crafts such as rag rugging. Follow the family history trail and dress as a Victorian with clothes from the dressing up box.
Summer events and activities:
- Festival of Archaeology Fringe. 14 - 29 July, 10.30am-5pm. Unearth how this historic house would have looked over 600 years ago and find out what life was like in the village before the building became known as 'The Old Post Office'. This year the exhibition also focuses on the other archaeological sites in North Cornwall National Trust, from shipwrecks to cliff castles. Let your little treasures explore the hidden history of the house with a free archaeology trail and create their own coat of arms along with inspirational motto. Free with admission.
- Rag rug workshops. Wednesday 25 July and Wednesday 15 August 11am-3pm. Join the rag rug volunteers and workshop leader Deborah Hastings and have a go at this age-old art of upcycling left-over fabrics into furnishing for the home. 11am-3pm. Small chrage for materials used.
- Plant it, grow it, eat it. Wednesdasy 1 August, 11am-4pm Let your budding gardeners tick-off #41 of 50 Things to do before you're 11 and 3/4 with help from Gardener Kate who will teach you how to plant up a pot to take home, ways to nurture it and help it grow into something you can eat! Be sure to collect your free 50 Things scrapbook and stickers and start exploring. Free with admisison. Donations welcomed.
- Make a memory, 8 & 29 August, 11am-4pm. Using the materials provided, make a memory box of your holiday or a badge or magnet as a souvenir of your visit. Free with admission.
- Create wild art. Wednesday 22 August, 11am-4pm. From the natural materials and paints provided, create your own masterpiece to take away and tick-off #18 of 50 Things. Free with admission.
What else is happening?
- Family history trail. Free, daily. Follow the trail in the hunt for history! Do you know what some of the items in the house were used for and who would have used them?
- Photography competition. Free, daily. This year, the theme is 'home' and can be interepreted in any way you like with any style, technique or camera (even with your phone!). All ages and abilities are welcome and your photo might even end up on display in October and win a prize! Ask a member of staff for a terms and conditions sheet and where to upload your photos when you visit.
- Victorian dressing up. Free, daily (weather permitting). Look the part of the postmaster and postmistress with Victorian dressing up clothing. Perfect for a family photo and with sizes for grown-ups too!
- Garden games. Free, daily (weather permitting). Challenge your friends and family in noughts-and-crosses, dominoes or roll-a-ball.
A picnic with a difference
With the wonky and wavy Tudor roof as a backdrop, the cottage garden of Tintagel Old Post Office offers a unique setting for lunch! The lawn is perfect for a picnic and visitors are welcome to bring food and drink from the village with them into this peaceful retreat.