Things to see & do
This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
Squirrel Nutkin's Egg Hunt
18-21 April, 10-4pm
Follow the Allan Bank red squirrels' Cadbury Easter Egg Trail to win a special Cadbury chocolate Egghead prize.
£1 per child.
Write like Wordsworth
Sit in Wordsworth’s study and write your own daffodil poem to celebrate spring.
We’ll gather the best of the bunch into a book to provide springtime inspiration for more poets next year.
Saturday 7 June
Challenge yourself to a scenic trail run in the stunning setting of Grasmere and Rydal. Enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that your entry fee will be invested right back into looking after this world-famous landscape.
- See if you can spot a red squirrel in our grounds
- Indulge in a slice of cake or sandwich in the Old Kitchen at Allan Bank
- Tell us what you think - scribble on the walls at Allan Bank
- Head to our shop in Grasmere to get the most out of your visit
- Float in a boat on Grasmere and then enjoy a picnic on Penny Rock beach
- How many grebes, coots and swans can you spot around Rydal Water?
- Visit Townend, our traditional farmhouse in Troutbeck.
- Pop over the hill to Langdale for lunch at Sticklebarn, the only National Trust run pub.
- Take a ferry from Waterhead to check out the gothic Wray Castle.
- Take on the Champion Trees Trail at Skelghyll woods and discover the tallest tree in Cumbria.
Play a game
We have a whole selection of family board games to choose from.
Capture the views
Pick up a paint brush or pencil in our art room and create a lasting memory of this place.
Read a good book
You can bring your own or read one of ours, just find a comfy corner and settle in for a while.
Have a brew
Help yourself to a free tea or coffee, there's cake for sale too if you're feeling indulgent.
Get some fresh air.
Head outdoors for a fresh spring walk in our woodland.
Bring a picnic
Enjoy it on the lawn in the sunshine, or even in the house if the weather has other ideas.
Admire the views
The views from Allan Bank are really very special, it's easy to lose an hour gazing at them.
What creatures can you find in our woodland? Look out for cheeky squirrels and birds.
Quite possibly the most relaxed NT property in the UK. Lots to do or just sit with tea in front of the view. Excellent.