Lanhydrock mince pies recipe (makes 50)
Puddings and cakes
- Serves: 8
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
850g (1lb, 14oz) plain flour
425g (15oz) caster sugar
850g (1lb, 4oz) margarine
425g (15oz) ground almonds
6 drops almond essence
Small pinch salt
2 jars of good quality mince meat
- Rub together the flour and margarine, until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Add caster sugar, salt, ground almonds and essence.
- Add eggs and mix together until it resembles dough.
- Divide dough in two: half for pastry cases, half for lids.
- Roll out half of the dough and cut 50 circles using 7cm fluted cutter (for base).
- Grease a bun tin, add pastry circles and press down. Repeat until all pastry is used.
- Roll out remaining dough and cut out 50 circles using a 6cm fluted cutter (for lid).
- Add one heaped teaspoon of mince meat to each pie.
- Egg wash around the edge of each base, place lid on top and carefully press down.
- Egg wash the lids of each pie and sprinkle with caster sugar. Pierce a hole in each one.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees celsius / 325 degrees fahrenheit and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.