- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1kg (2lb) potato
- 1kg (2lb) carrots
- 500gm (1lb) leeks
- 4 sticks celery
- 200gm (8oz) mushrooms
- 2 large parsnips
- 800gm (1.5lb) tinned chopped tomatoes
- 500ml (1pint) vegetable stock
- small bunch fresh basil
- small bunch fresh mixed herbs
- 4 slices of bread (white and brown)
- Note: any root vegetable can be used or substituted depending on seasonal availability.
- Peel the root vegetables, and wash the celery and mushrooms.
- Chop all of your vegetables into even sized chunks, approx 1 inch (2.5cm)
- Saute the vegetables until just soft, approx 5 mins.
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, the vegetable stock and the chopped basil.
- Simmer for approx 5 mins until the sauce is heated through.
- Pour into a casserole dish and top this with the bread crumbs and mixed chopped herbs.
- Bake in a moderate oven at gas mark 4 (180C) for approx 20 mins and until the topping is golden brown.