This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
Notice: Please note that on 14 September the Calke Abbey 10k run and family fun run is taking place. There may be some congestion in and round the Calke Abbey site between 9am and 12 noon. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
The un-stately home and country estate
With peeling paintwork and overgrown courtyards, Calke Abbey tells the story of the dramatic decline of a country house estate. The house and stables are little restored, with many abandoned areas vividly portraying a period in the 20th century when numerous country houses did not survive to tell their story.
Discover the tales of an eccentric family who amassed a vast collection of hidden treasures. Visit the beautiful, yet faded, walled gardens and explore the orangery, auricula theatre and the kitchen gardens. Escape into the ancient and fragile habitats of Calke Park and its National Nature Reserve.
• See the stunning state silk bed, erected for the first time in 1985 after lying undiscovered since the 18th century
• Spot the ‘Old Man of Calke’, a 1,200 year old oak tree
• Enter a world of little light and follow the twists and turns of the brew house tunnel
• Visit the red and fallow deer in their restored deer enclosure
• Stroll through the pleasure grounds to the flower garden with its unique auricula theatre and creep into the gardeners’ tunnel
Join us at Calke Abbey this summer where we will have outdoor activities for the whole family to enjoy.
There's lots to do all year round. Take a look at our events and see what you could get up to.
There are lots of walks all over the estate. Download a walk or join a Ranger or park guide.
Keep in touch
Share your photos with us and keep up to date with the latest events.
Join in the Calke conversation and tell us about your visit. We're here to help Mon-Fri, 9-5.
Keep up to date with the latest projects and conservation work from all aspects of the estate.
Watch amazing aerial films of the estate through the seasons.