This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
Notice: RESTAURANT CLOSED. Please note our Restaurant is closed for refurbishment during February. Our new cafe is open for hot drinks and snacks every day from 10am to 4pm.
The un-stately home and country estate
With peeling paintwork and overgrown courtyards, Calke Abbey tells the story of the dramatic decline of a country house estate. The house and stables are little restored, with many abandoned areas vividly portraying a period in the 20th century when numerous country houses did not survive to tell their story.
Discover the tales of an eccentric family who amassed a vast collection of hidden treasures. Visit the beautiful, yet faded, walled gardens and explore the orangery, auricula theatre and the kitchen gardens. Escape into the ancient and fragile habitats of Calke Park and its National Nature Reserve.
• See the stunning state silk bed, erected for the first time in 1985 after lying undiscovered since the 18th century
• Spot the ‘Old Man of Calke’, a 1,200 year old oak tree
• Enter a world of little light and follow the twists and turns of the brew house tunnel
• Visit the red and fallow deer in their restored deer enclosure
• Stroll through the pleasure grounds to the flower garden with its unique auricula theatre and creep into the gardeners’ tunnel
There are lots of great walks all over the estate. Download a walk or join a Ranger or park guide.
There's lots to do all year round. Take a look at our events and see what you could get up to.
Grab those wellies and see what you can tick off in Calke park.
Keep in touch
Share your photos with us and keep up to date with the latest events.
Join in the Calke conversation and tell us about your visit. We're here to help Mon-Fri, 9-5.
Keep up to date with the latest projects and conservation work from all aspects of the estate.
Watch amazing aerial films of the estate through the seasons.