Charlecote venison casserole
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 2 hours
1 pack Charlecote diced venison (approx 500g)
25g (1 oz) plain flour seasoned with a little ground black pepper
4 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
300ml (10 fl oz) beef stock
150ml (5 fl oz) red wine
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
2 bay leaves
Small bunch thyme sprigs (leaves stripped, or stems tied into a bunch as you prefer)
- Preheat oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2.
- Toss the venison in the seasoned flour.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan and brown the meat on all sides (retaining the loose flour). Transfer venison to an ovenproof casserole.
- Fry the onion and carrots in remaining 2 tbsp oil until lightly coloured and transfer to the casserole.
- Stir the remaining flour into the frying pan for a minute, remove from the heat and gradually stir in the stock and wine. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring for a minute.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and redcurrant jelly and pour over the venison and vegetables.
- Tuck in the herbs, cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours before serving with your favourite potatoes and veg.