A View of Erddig by Moses Griffiths © Erddig NT

A View of Erddig by Moses Griffiths

Where the past comes to life

Since Erddig was built by Joshua Edisbury in the 1680s, each owner has added to and cared for the house, its contents, gardens and park. But each owner and generation has kept a part of and respected the work of their predecessors. This means that today we can find evidence of over 300 years of family life.

Simon Yorke or Philip Yorke?

Erddig was owned by the Yorke family for 240 years. Each of them was called either Simon or Philip. The first Simon Yorke inherited the house in 1733 from his uncle, John Meller.

Erddig's Rooms of Parade

When John Meller, a rich London lawyer, bought Erddig in 1714 he enlarged the existing house by adding a wing to each side. He created 'rooms of parade' with elegant furnishings to impress.

The servants' portraits

Erddig still has 10 servants' portraits hanging in the Servants Hall, painted in the late 18th century and early 19th century. Each has its own poem about the person depicted, written by the owner of Erddig at the time.

The stories behind the picture

The Erddig servants photographed in the garden in 1887 © Erddig NT

The Erddig servants photographed in the garden in 1887

We know a lot about the Yorke family, but the servants who devoted much of their lives to Erddig also have their stories to tell.
This picture of the servants was taken in the garden in 1887.

The last squire of Erddig

Philp Yorke III winds up one of his gramophones © Erddig NT

Philp Yorke III winds up one of his gramophones

'It's probably what my father would have liked - the old place restored to its former glory.'  Philip Yorke III generously gave Erddig, its contents and estate to the National Trust in 1973.

A garden with its roots in the past

Erddig's garden was begun in 1685. Each of Erddig's owners has altered and added to it, but each has respected their predessors work. Today we can still see evidence of the gardens of the past.