Holme Wood Bothy
For a really serious outdoor experience, Holme Wood Bothy offers extremely basic accommodation in the most spectacular secluded location just a few metres away from the shore of Loweswater. Be assured that your only neighbours will be friendly woodland animals and hooting owls. The stone bothy was converted from a fish hatchery hut and provides an ideal base from which small groups can walk and fish.
- The bothy is effectively a stone tent. Bring all your camping equipment except for your tent.
- Wind-up lanterns are available from the Ranger but may be useful to bring additional lighting if required
- Normal size four-ring gas cooker, operated by Calor gas which is provided (not metered)
- Table with two benches
- Cold water tap (not drinking water)
- Wood-burning stove (initial supply of wood provided)
- Separate room for sleeping which can accommodate up to 10 people, with wooden flooring on two levels. (Mixed parties, please note that sleeping arrangements are not fully segregated)
- Parking space for up to three cars
- A shower is available for use at the Ranger's workshop between 5pm and 8pm daily.
- Composting toilet next door to bothy which is reached from outside up three steps (torch required and please bring your own toilet paper).
Things to see and do
There are countless stunning walking routes and many attractions including several of our properties close by. Just a 20-minute walk away is the Kirkstile Inn providing a great pub menu.
Booking your stay
To book, please use the online booking system or send an email. Full payment is required at time of booking.
Further information and restrictions
- The bothy must be cleaned by occupants prior to departure
- Arrivals are from 3pm onwards, departures by 10am
- The lighting of campfires is not permitted; however, barbecues are allowed with care
- Camping is not allowed in the area
- Dogs are permitted, but owners are asked to keep them under close control
- Swimming in the lake is not recommended due to the occasional presence of harmful algae
- Private boats are not permitted on the lake. Boat hire is available nearby. Further information upon booking
- Rubbish should be taken away with you and the bothy left clean for the next occupants
Getting to Holme Wood Bothy
Access to the bothy is via Watergate Farm, a few hundred yards east of Loweswater. The nearest town is Cockermouth, approximately 20 minutes away by car. Post code: CA13 0RU. Sat nav is not recommended.
For further enquiries, please email us or call the campsite booking line on 015394 32733.