This section of the page features an image gallery, so if you're using a screen reader you may wish to jump to the main content.
Explore Constable Country
Flatford lies in the heart of the beautiful Dedham Vale. This charming hamlet was the inspiration for some of John Constable's most famous pictures, for example, the Hay Wain or Boatbuilding near Flatford Mill among many others. Wandering beside the River Stour or looking at Flatford Mill and Willy Lotts House you can feel as if you are actually walking through one of his paintings.
Take a look at an exhibition about Constable in Bridge Cottage and enjoy the riverside tearoom.
Exhibitions by contemporary artists are held in the Boat House Gallery.
We have plenty of parking and you can also come on foot by following the River Stour from Dedham or Manningtree.
This is great walking countryside so you can take the family out, walk the dog or simply step back in time and absorb the places Constable knew and loved.
- Outside seating area for dog owners.
- 16 steps down from the car park. Disabled parking available by the Visitor Centre.
- 100 metres from car park to Bridge Cottage.
- 200 metres from Bridge Cottage to the Hay Wain view.
- Numerous footpaths and walking trails throughout this Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).
- Riverside Tea Room - Prices correct at time of publishing but may be subject to change.